There will be an informational/signup meeting this Thursday, May 29th, at 6:30pm at Creekside, for anyone interested in helping out with Cam Vera this summer. Hope to see you there!
Camp Vera is drawing near and we’re in need of more volunteers. Camp Vera is a great way to reach out to the refugees God has placed in our midst. When we distributed the Burmese donations last week, many of the children asked when we would have swim lessons and camp. This is something they look forward to every summer.
General information :
Dates: June 23rd through June 28th
Schedule of activities:
10:40 Arrive at Birdland swimming pool in Des Moines
11:00 to 11:45 Swim lessons
12:00 Back to church for lunch and afternoon activities
3:00 Drive kids back home
Here are ways in which you can help –
• Prayer – we want to bathe this ministry in prayer.
– Please pray for the leader’s – wisdom and that we will clearly hear God’s will as we strive to do His work.
– For the children and their families that through our efforts they will feel the love of our Father and some may come to know Him
– For the safety and well being of all involved throughout the week
Transport kids (we need to pick up 20 to 30 kids the number depends on how many drivers we have)
• Prepare meals
• Youth leader and helpers for the middle school kids
• Folks to help supervise kids during the afternoon acitivities
• Plan and lead an activity for an afternoon (Bible lesson, song time, games)
If you have children of your own to care for, and would like to help, we may be able to work that out. In the past, we’ve had moms with 2 or 3 young children at home who have helped with Camp Vera. If you have room to transport some of the refugee children, we’d love to have you join us. Lessons are $30 and kids who have completed kindergarten are welcome to join the group lessons.
The images attached are an article that my friend and co-leader wrote for the General Baptist Conference magazine. It tells the story of how Camp Vera began and why we feel it’s so important.
If you have any questions or want more information, please feel free to contact Marge McKeever.